Saturday, March 6, 2010

Lack of Ladies

So those that follow my permanent pages (that links at the top of the blog) know that I have been watching a course called "Global Population Growth" on academicearth.org.  (I am on lecture 17 of 24 for reference.)  Well recently the conversation has been about the lack of ladies in India and China.  Well to my surprise the economist has a couple articles on it this week:
  1. Header Article - Overview of  the problem.
  2. Personal Article - By a Women there.
  3. Leader Article - Main Article.
What is interesting to me is how much focus t here is on this.  I will say in general this course is REALLY interesting.  It is amazing to me how much of history is distorted.  I strongly suggest that you download the audio and listen to it on the way to work.  Apparently the current lack of ladies in China is nothing compared to Eastern Europe in previous generations.  I think 150:100 was quoted but I could be wrong.  What is also interesting is that the female infanticide is so rooted in history everywhere.  Recently (lecture 17) has discussed the difference between land inheritance in Europe and in China and why that affected the future colonization (both for with Europe having lots of men for armies and against where china was largely army devoid).

Anyway I thought it was interesting that the economist had a huge article on this just as I am learning about online.

3/8/09 - Added 3rd article in list.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.