Saturday, March 27, 2010

A budget for 310 Million people

I have to say how much I like the New York Time's dat avisualizations sometimes.  This one is older but still well worth looking at.  This is a visual interpretation of the 2011 Federal Budget and who gets what.  What is most interesting is what areas are getting less funding this year.  I have highlighted a couple below along with links to what they actually do (or tried to).  I still find it amazing how many departments and areas there are in the federal government.
  • Grants to States for Medicaid.  I think the recent health care bill has fixed this partially though dispropotionally ot the states.
  • Disease Control, Research, and Training.  Call me crazy but I think this is something the government should actually shoulder the burden for because what kind of buisness model provides these services.  However the lower funding could be due to the lack of H1N1 outbreaks.
  • UMWA Funds - (Coal Miner Retirement Health).  So I had a hard time researching this one.  Apparently the miners union convinced the federal government in 1969 to enact the Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act.  However this doesn't seem to be the reason for this portion of the federal budget.  I couldn't find anything else.
  • Special Education and Education for the disadvantaged.  My dislike of national education funding is well known but I find it interesting that these two are receiving less funding this year.
  • First Time Homebuyers Credit - Well this has changed since this article was published.  So much for removing that credit.
  • Corp of Engineers.  I find it interesting that the programs that protect our national treasures are being underfunded...
  • Economic and Demographic Statistics.  Couldn't even find this department on the web.  I suspect a major section of the money will be lost because the census will be over.
  • Tenn. Valley Authority.  I am kinda surprised this still exists but regardless they are getting less money this year.
  • Space Operations.  -20%.  That is a lot less expensive stuff in space.  I am actually a huge supporter of NASA but I feel like they have gotten fat and bloatet.  Maybe less money will make them more efficient though I doubt it.
  • I would also like to add that we are wasting a lot of money administering the TARP funds.  Kinda frustrating.  Recently there was an article I read (link) about how we will make like 8 billions off the citigroup TARP funds we loaned them.  Looking at the budget it looks like we spent more than that on it (and will).
Now who is getting more money?
  • 33% more spent on interest payments (doens't this worry anyone?).
  • Food Stamps.  Makes sense since a lot more people are out of work.
  • Health Care Fraud and Abuse Control.  Up until recently the tates regulated health care (correct?) so why do we have a department for that?
  • Trade Adjustment Assistance.  Yes we give money to companies affected by imports.  Um, why do we do this?  This seems dumb.  So you buy your 6 pack of tube socks but then pay taxes so another company in the US can make tube socks for more money?  Sounds about right for the federal government.
What is surprising is how much of the 'cuts' which we proposed when this came out are now irrelevant because of bills passed.  Also I am surprised how much of the budget goes to big things that it likely shouldn't.  I think I am going to dig for departmental budgets.  I am curious where all of this money goes.

Update : Added a link for the Citigroup TARP monies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.