Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Who's honoring me now: John Stossel

That's right, he recently wrote an article for the reason which I recently blogged about.  Thank you for doing that Mr. Stossel.  It makes me feel happy.

(The article is about stupid laws which attempt to raise barriers of entry into local labor markets.  Mostly he is rehashing stuff that has been on the reason.com for years.  My blog post was mostly inspired by those articles.)

I wanted to say a couple words about Mr. Stossel.  I have long been a fan of his reporting.  He has gotten some extremely libertarian leaning material onto ABC in the past.  Now he has a show on Fox News.  I honestly feel like this is a step backwards for him.  I feel like when he was doing reporting for ABC he was out there reporting on things that mattered in a way that introduced people to more libertarian ideas.  More views of different ideas help make people open minded and more accepting.  However I feel like this message is lost on Fox News.  Basically he is just another reporter reporting far right material.  Also I feel like his material is more rushed.  I mean it is the nature of the show but I don't like his move.

On a political note I can't say I always agree with him.  He seems to be a 60's-70's libertarian.  These are the people who stand up at the libertarian party's national convention and have a fist fight over whether or not the post office should exist.  It seems like the material he creates is a little too old school libertarian.  I personally don't care if the post office exists.  However I feel like the mail service should be opened up to competition and that the government should be forced to run the post office in the market with other players.  I feel like his libertarianism makes me uncomfortable mostly because it isn't pragmatic.  I feel like, 'yes, it would be great if we could get closer to that' however I don't feel like there is a rational though in most of his writings where there is an understanding that most people want some kind of nanny state and tomorrow everyone is not going to wake up and fix the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.