Saturday, March 6, 2010

I am America

So I recently read "I Am America and So Can You" on my recent trip to Las Vegas.  My recommendation: skip it.  The book was actually pretty thin in comedy.  It seems like most of the entertainment value from Stephen Colbert and his writers is made for television.  It seems like they just didn't transfer to the page.  Basically I was disappointed, I didn't laugh out loud as much as I did from "America the book".  I found most of the over the top conservative statements needed something more.  Also the running commentary (like during the 'Word' segment on the show) was too sparse, too irrelevant, and not funny.  It was distracting mostly.  I feel like this book was pushed by a publisher who was like, milk it for more money.  I feel the best part of the book was the shameless plugging for it on the show.  Anyway as I said, skip it.  You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me that J and I posed by a Stephen Colbert cardboard cutout when that book first hit the shelves. iPhoto's facial recognition software found his face, so now there's a Stephen Colbert entry in my photo album tags.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.