Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Long days as work mean short posts.

So I haven't had a lot of time to write so I thought I would say a couple of things about a couple of articles and make a couple of comments about the health care debate.  Since I know you are all enthralled with what I write.
  • Article: Link.  It seems all chic to state that the government is broken.  However as this article points out partisan is good because it prevents us from being at the whims of the populace and people only seem to complain when they can't get their projects through.
  • Article: Link.  It seems like people all voting themselves more benefits at the expense of me.  It is really frustrating.  It is amazing how much pensions are underfunded and how often politicians cave into state unions.
Also I have been reading a lot about the new health care plan.  Basically all I have to say is that we need politicians to accept economic reality.  Money has to come from somewhere.  I also strongly urge them to not 'reconcile' the bill.  It they do that there will be significant problems.  Most people will likely not be re-elected (not a bad thing in my book) and we will be straddled with a monstrous mess.  You can't limit premium increases or else you will run everyone out of the market and then the only player in town will be the central government.  This is exactly like prop 13.  You can't limit market forces without significantly messing it up.  Also, why can't insurance companies charge women more?  They cost more.  Auto insurance companies charge me more than women my age.  Why isn't that a campaign issue?  Also we need a health system that provides family planning and other reproductive benefits.  It is for the benefit of society.  Any health care legislation without that is doomed to irrelevance.  No matter what your personal choice is about this, we as a society need to face the fact that we have to provide that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.