Saturday, May 8, 2010

Knowing More: Autism and Vaccines

I recently discussed the frontline video about vaccines.  If you didn't have a chance to watch it (it is an hour long) the reason has produced a video which essentially the same content but in 6 minutes.  I feel the content of the video is much better representative of a logical and rational response to the issues (as compared with frontline which I basically just complained about the lack of reason from the people in the video).

Since I basically just dismissed the editing and raiontality of the people on the video last time this time I thought I would discuss more of the substance of the debate.  Basically I am of the opinion that something is wrong with kids.  The rates of autism have been rising in recent years (including in Europe) and there is little to no scientific link to the vaccines.  So what does this mean?  We should spend our little resources on finding the real issue behind what is wrong.  Basically I am very frustrated with people who know nothign about the subject saying that people who do science are wrong.  Scientists are not always right but they are in a better position to be correct than someone just guessing.  I feel like we should focus the 'vaccines cause autism' movement into the 'we need to know what is causing autism' movement.  Unfortunately this will not happen because there is nothing to be mad at in the later movement and people need something to be mad at or to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.