Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ideas worth watching

So Sunday I was waiting for the Lost finale I decided I was going to watch a bunch of TED videos.  (
You may remember TED from a previous post.)  Well I thought I would review a couple of them for you so you can watch them is you want.
  •  Mosquito zap.  This was recently discussed in the IEEE Spectrum.  Basically this guy works at a place which just thinks of cool stuff and they made a laser mosquito zapper.  Pretty cool.
  • Coral Reefs.  Maybe skip this one.  The guy basically talks about the problems of coral reefs dying.  If you are up on the problems this won't give you any new information.
  • Schools and Creativity.  Funny, worth a watch.  This is about how schools kill creativity and how we need to encourage this.
  • Eating to Starve Cancer.  Totally worth watching.  Basically this is about how blood vessels grow around cancer (and fat cells which was really interesting).  The thesis is that by starving the area of blood vessel growth you can prevent the growth of cancer (and keep you skinny).  This is really worth watching, really interesting.  Made me eat my tomatoes this week.  :-)
  • Dangers of Science Denial.  This is interesting.  I think there is a balance between blindly believing science and blindly rejecting science.  However I feel like this guy may be too blindly non-questioning.  Interesting video.
  • Spaghetti Sauce.  I know I have posted this before I am pretty sure.  This is presenting Malcolm Gladwell.  This is an interesting one to watch just because it is thought provoking.
  • Danger of Choice.  I think everyone knows that too much choice is paralyzing.  Interesting discussion if nothing else.
  • Family Tree of you and Me.  This is a video about the efforts to map the family tree of humanity.  What is most interesting to me is that there have only been about 2000 generations since the 'adam' and 'eve' moments in human history.  Amazing to think how much diversity there is in such a small time.
Those were a selection of the ones I watched.  Have fun, watch the laser one it is neat, watch the spaghetti sauce one it is thought-provoking, and watch the eating to starve cancer one because it is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.