Sunday, May 2, 2010

I'm going to show the world I'm smart

So here is a gripe I have with people (I know another one).  So this is something I see all the time on TV when I am watching I hear something to tune of 'This is going to prove to people I am smart/great/awesome/etc.'  Well here is the problem, the thing that will 'show them' is never actually related at all.

So here is the complaint tonight, the Amazing Race has Miss Teen South Carolina, you know 'the Iraq' girl.  So anyway tonight she was like 'I want to make it to the top 3 to prove I am smart.'  So first of all being in the top 3 doesn't make you smart.  If there is anything reality TV has taught us is that smarts have nothing to do with winning.  In fact the only things correlated with it are cunning and luck (and in the case of Survivor, people skills).  Additionally what is more funny is that about 4 weeks ago she got lost because she couldn't read a map.  I mean, if you look at someone and say, 'hey you made it to the end of that TV show, you must be smart' then you should just smack yourself in the head.

I think this all derives from everyone's inability or lack of desire to reflect on oneself.  If you look at this situation in the above paragraph from the outside you will say of course there is no correlation, however if you look at it from the inside (if it was you) what would you say?  Of course making it to the end would reinforce your idea that everyone under estimates you and how this is just proof you are beyond awesome.  I mean really think about it.  Would you think that way.

So here is the major problem, how do you recognize situations where you are reinvorcing some idea in yourself that is improper.  I think the biggest problem is recognizing when situations and actions are correlated and when they are not.  For instance if you want validation that you are a good basketball player would the fact that you just solved a mathematical proof validify your basketball skillz?  Of course not, however what if it is baseball and you just scored a homerun?  Is that similar enough to verify your opinion?  Is it valid?  I think there is also a problem in the opposite direction, can something reinvorce a bad decision about yourself.  For instance if you think you are terrible at programming and you get a pile of bugs against your code does that mean you actually are bad?

This seems to be a skill that many people lack.  What is more interesting is the more theoretical question of whether one can evaluate themselves and whether or not any evaluations are correct.  Also can someone else evaluate you (I mean we do it all the time, tests, evaluations, etc.)?  These are interesting questions however back to the original premise, no getting into the top 3 doesn't make you smart, it makes you in the top 3.  Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.