Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Quotes for thought

So, I have been reading John Adams by David McCullough.  I came across an interesting quote which I thought was really interesting.  I don't remember the original reference but the quote is:
"In all things consider the end."
Think of this for a minute.  In all things consider how it will end.  In the context of government this seems to have an obvious application, however, think of this in general.  Always consider how it will end.  I just feel like the quote is very challenging to think about in our quick answer, think on your feet world, do we consider this enough?

A second quote which is more transparent:
"All men would be tyrants if they could."
I think we all know what that means.  However think of it.  If this is your idea and philosphy you would definitely make a government where no man could have too much power.

I am definitely enjoying the book.  I see some of the same character traits in John Adams as I see in myself sometimes.  The most compelling likeness is in his approach to studies and to life.  In studies he self-studied a LOT.  I have a hankering to always be learning.  Additionally, and I think this is very interesting, John Adams was asked by someone what would be the best way to prepare for a trip to Europe.  And he replied that the best way was to be more learned and respected, then he would be ready.  The writer was obviously looking for which languages were more important etc.

Anyway, those quotes are interesting thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.