Sunday, April 11, 2010

One carry-on please

So I am flying a lot in the next two weeks.  It is really easy to criticize airplane travel.  Airlines never seem to care, people are rude, I will probably be stuck in a middle seat which will suck major ass.  (My company didn't book the flights nor tell me until late on Friday.)  One of my biggest pet peeves is people's carry-ons.  No one ever carries on the appropriate amount onto flights.  I can remember flying back from Las Vegas and watching a couple put 5 bags in the overhead.  They were not like purses we are talking carry-ons, and they didn't even fit.

So I can actually understand Charles Schumer.  He wants to prevent airlines from charging for carry-ons.  I don't want to pay either (though I want people to follow the rules which they never do).  Recently I heard that representatives would like congress to enforce the carry-on policies of the airlines.

Well here is my take.  I don't fly airlines that charge baggage fees unless I have to and usually someone else is paying in that case (and reimbursing me for the charges).  However I would fly an airline that charged for carry-on luggage if the ticket was significantly cheaper than other airlines.  Here is the thing, if airlines would like to distinguish themselves by only having you pay for what you need then I say go for it.  If Spirit Airlines wants to charge 45$ for a carry-on but lower the ticket price by $40 then that is fine.  I am sure there are people who don't fly with carry-ons that would like a cheaper ticket.  Only pay for what you use, I like that.  I think the biggest problem is that most people think everything should be free.  Is this possible, no.  You don't have to fly one airline you can fly any of them so choose the ones you support instead of the ones you don't.  Southwest is doing well because of exactly this.  I don't think I should have to subsidize other people's perks while flying.  Paying for carry-ons actually make sense in this respect (however the airline should reduce the cost of the base ticket which they never do but that is the post for another day).  Also I feel like ticket prices quoted should always reflect all fees and surcharges.  I mean it isn't like I can buy the ticket without paying those fees.

Also, congressmen stop flapping your pie holes about fairness.  Government has no place in this discussion besides to make sure all of the fees are disclosed at purchase time and easily readable.  Even then the reasons are dicey because people could just not fly airlines with hidden fees.  However I will allow the government to step in and make sure the fees are disclosed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.