Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pass me a pint of that non-alcoholic ale, matey.

Those who know me know that I do not drink, most anything. Beer, wine, tea, coffee, etc. 'none for me, thanks.' However I still support other's right to drink. So this article on the reason is especially troublesome. I have long known for time that England is one of the most watched societies in the world however I did not really know that it was the most regulated (that award last I knew went to Switzerland where you can not pee standing up after like 10 pm).

So there are two sides of this coin, one which is the protection of other people and the other which is freedom to enjoy oneself. Now I am all for intelligent regulations which limit people's ability to infringe upon my rights but I think there is a very hard case to be made that the laws picked out in this article are reasonable. Now of course there is author's bias in here and there are likely very good regulations for bars in England. However because some laws are good it does not mean all laws are good. While I am more likely to be annoyed by people drinking (and subsequently walking home yelling) than enjoying a beer in a pub, I still this is ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.