Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The King is dead, Long Live the King

Question of the Day: What would you say to the king or queen of England if you met them?

I am traveling again soon and I was looking back at my travel to London about 3 years ago. The thoughts came back to me which I ask now. This is also very interesting to ask because our president recently traveled overseas for the first time to Britain. The Daily Show, which I watch regularly, made fun of the news networks, I know it is not that hard, for pointing out Michelle Obama's faux pas with the queen. She like put her arm around her shoulders or something. Oh, no. You better pick up your monocle from your tea.

I remember wondering what I would do if I met her while I was in London. I mean there is not a lot to think about when you traveling underground in the tube (don't forget to mind the gap). What is interesting to me is that according to English law it is punishable to do all kinds of things around or to a monarch. I remember thinking that I would not call them my Lord, that right is reserved for one man. I remember thinking I would probably turn my back when I left, because when you leave a room it is important to look where you are going so you don't walk out the wrong door or into a door (George Bushism).

I remember thinking how this conversation would go when the Monarch inevitably (in my day dream) asked me, why I wasn't respecting them. I would say, well I was respecting you in the same way I would respect any other person in the world. No more, no less. Because to me, I did not elected that Monarch (I know you don't elect them anyway). They don't represent me, I do not own a castle (yet!). I imagined I would treat them like any other person I met. If the royal coach cut me off without using a turn signal I would probably call them a bitch like I normally call people. Equal opportunity insulter I am.

So back to the faux pas from London, I say, who care if you put your arm around the hostess' shoulder? Who cares if you turn your back, or do not kiss the ring? I mean really. Mostly I feel it is a way for people to feel they are more important than other people because they know they could never actually be more important on a level playing field. If people actually are that important they usually show it through magically levitation or fireballs from their arse. Not through an antiquated system or rules which have nothing to do with whether or not you respect the other person as an equal.

Sometime I will really get going and blog about 'manners and etiquette,' trust me you don't want to miss that one. :-) So what about you, what would you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be deleted if they are inappropriate.